25 Questions with Chris
Chris McKenzie is a design entrepreneur. As the youngest Australian registered Art Consultant, Chris has years of experience in the fine art and commercial art consulting game. Chris has curated for diverse customers including art collections for brands like the One and Only and the Sofitel. An entrepreneur at heart, Chris merged his two careers into one blurring the lines between art gallery and graphic design. He met Roz through his involvement with the Design Institute of Australia and together they launched Unlmtd Agency. From their studio in Brisbane, Unlmtd work ranged from design, to furniture to art, and their work followed a consistent conceptual path; relationship, task and legacy. In 2020, ever the entrepreneur, Chris launched That Art Store, an online art gallery curated by a collective of designers, offering affordable luxury art prints and other objects of beauty. With stellar taste and a powerful work ethic, Chris has been shifting the paradigms of artists and designers about what’s possible with art in the commercial arena. He brings this passion, this paradigm challenging view, his deep artistic understanding to the Markian essence.
Get to know Chris a little bit better as he answers our Markian 25 Questions.
- What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
I'm a fully qualified AFL umpire.
- Dream country to visit?
- What are three things you can’t live without?
Roz, coffee, and our cat (Vesper).
- What 3 people living or dead would you like to make dinner for?
Mark (Roz's father), my grandfather, and Jesus.
- What’s your current TV obsession?
- Most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
Jumping off a 30 metre bridge. I broke 3 toes.
- How would you define yourself in three words?
Loud, talkative, energetic.
- Superpower you would want?
- What’s inspiring you in life right now?
- Best piece of advice you’ve received?
When you're creative, kill the kindy teacher. They're the one person in your life that will always give you boundaries to what creativity is meant to look like.
- Best advice you’d give your teenage self?
Smoking is not a good idea.
- A book that everyone should read?
- What would you like to be remembered for?
- What’s your favourite colour, and what's your least favourite colour?
Blue is my favourite colour. Orange would be my least, I couldn't ever imagine wearing it.
- What's your coffee shop order
Cappucino with Zymil.
- You are stuck on an island, you can pick one food to eat forever without getting tired of it, what would you eat?
- Must have interior object everyone should have?
- Favourite smell?
Morning coffee...freshly, ground beans. Or the smell of a fresh Sherrin football.
- If you made a documentary, what would it be about?
What university doesn't teach you about design.
- Favourite living designer
- Artist you can listen to on repeat?
- If you could switch lives with someone for a day who would it be?
Chris Scott, the Geelong coach.
- What are you most excited about at this time in your life?
To marry Roz, and to become a father.
- Your go to for having a good laugh?
Beers with Josh White (one of my best friends).
- Your affirmation for today?
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist (Pablo Picasso).