25 Questions with Andrew
Andrew lives by the motto, ‘enjoy what you do’, and the nature of his work makes it possible to do so. For twenty-one years has worked consistently in the Barrett Group with an inclusive approach to all projects, working tirelessly to create his clients desired vision and explore untapped opportunities.
The diversity of the projects keep every day interesting and his skill set exceptionally diverse; the one week may involve fitting a medical suite, while the next is focused on high-end joinery. The real highlight for Andrew is when clients understand the skills his team brings to their projects and invite them to be part of their grand opening plans. This inclusion has been the case with several clients including Strike Bowling Bars and their affiliated brands, as well as David Jones’ Disney Level at QE2 in Sydney.
Markian is an intuitive and consummate expansion of bespoke interior fit-outs and another beautiful offering in the Barrett group quiver. Andrew brings this versatility, eye for excellence and deep enjoyment for life and work to the Markian essence.
Get to know Andrew, our final founder to sit in the hot seat, as he answers our Markian 25 Questions.
- What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
I love to fix things!! As a young boy, I loved pulling things apart and rebuilding them. To do this day nothing has changed, and I find it takes my mind off most things.
- Dream country to visit?
France as well as Monaco to watch the F1!
- What are three things you can’t live without?
Coffee, camping, and my little family.
- What 3 people living or dead would you like to make dinner for?
- What’s your current TV obsession?
- Most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
My family unit did a two week camping trips in the Victorian High Country. We camped by ourselves in some very remote locations, it was very eerie at night but also quite rewarding.
- How would you define yourself in three words?
Happy, easy-going and fun – although many may disagree…
- Superpower you would want?
I would love to be able to fly. I love to do it and it scares me a little, but I think it would be the ultimate freedom.
- Best piece of advice you’ve received?
If you bite off more than you can chew, start chewing.
- Best advice you'd give your teenage self?
Aim high and go for it.
- A book that everyone should read?
- What would you like to be remembered for?
Being a good person.
- What’s your favourite colour, what's your least favourite colour?
Orange is definitely my favourite colour as it makes me happy. I don’t really have a least favourite, but brown comes to mind if I had to pick.
- What's your coffee shop order?
A strong flat white – simple and effective.
- You are stuck on an island, you can pick one food to eat forever without getting tired of it, what would you eat?
Probably watermelon. It is the one food I never get tired of and could just keep on devouring.
- Best and worst thing to happy to you today?
Best thing was finalising a deal (The Langham, Gold Coast) at work that we have been working on for a couple of months. The worst thing was the alarm going off at 5am so I could drag myself to the gym before work.
- Favourite smell?
The smell you get when you crack open a fresh tin of tennis balls.
- If you made a documentary, what would it be about?
Definitely about the people behind Barrett Group, past and present. We have some very interesting and funny stories from our 38 years of trading!
- Favourite living designer?
Shaun Lockyer. I just love his house designs and would one day love to live in one!
- What's inspiring you in life right now?
My boys. They are growing and learning so fast. I just love to watch them develop and am amazed by their progression.
- If you could switch lives with someone for a day, who would it be?
I would love to switch with Lewis Hamilton. He is so good at driving his F1 car and I think his life would be quite exciting as he is so in demand.
- An artist you can listen to on repeat?
- Your go to for having a good laugh?
- What are you most excited about at this time in your life?
Definitely my two boys once again. They are now 9 and 12 years old and are just such a cool age to hang out with.
- Your affirmation for today?
Don’t sweat the small stuff!